Freshly Roasted Salsa
Approx. 8 medium-sized tomatoes, any variety
1 to 3 jalapeño peppers
1 large red or yellow onion
3 cloves garlic
3 Tbsp. Extra-virgin olive oil
1 Tbsp. kosher salt
The juice of one lime
1/3 c. chopped cilantro
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Chop 6 of the tomatoes, holding back two to add later in their uncooked state.
- Chop the onion and the seeded jalapeños (Let your tolerance for heat determine how many you use…). Place the tomatoes, onion and jalapeños in a 9×13 roasting pan.
- Drizzle the vegetables with the olive oil and sprinkle it with the salt. Toss and put in preheated oven.
- Cook the vegetables for 15 minutes, then remove them to stir. Put them back in the oven for another 15 minutes. Remove them from the oven, stir again, and let the vegetables sit for another 15 minutes.
- Chop the raw tomatoes roughly and mince the garlic.
- Combine the roasted and raw vegetables and the lime juice. Insert an immersion blender and pulse until the mixture reaches the desired consistency.
- Add the cilantro and pulse one more time to incorporate it. Taste to adjust salt, and serve immediately, although the flavors improve with chilling.